Hello Spring! Sweeten up the new season for your dog with our carrot dog treat recipe. Carrots contain essential vitamins and minerals like beta carotene, vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium, and more. They are a healthy low-calorie treat but because they are high in natural sugar, feeding them in modest amounts is best for your pup. Another great way for your dog to reap the benefits of carrots is to serve them raw or steamed (not boiled) since both prep strategies help preserve their nutritional value. Either way you prepare carrots, thoroughly wash and peel them to make sure any dirt or pesticides are removed.
We think your pup will find these carrot dog treats ap-peeling!
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter (be sure it doesn't contain artificial sweeteners like xylitol)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (be sure there is no added sugar or pumpkin pie spice)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups flour
- Additional 4 tablespoons flour, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven.
- Whisk grated carrot, peanut butter, applesauce, pumpkin puree, water, and eggs together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour until incorporated. Add remaining flour one tablespoon at a time until dough forms.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/2-inch in thickness.
- Cut into shapes using a small knife or fun cookie cutters and place on the prepared baking sheets about an inch apart.
- Bake two sheets in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, switching each sheet to the other rack halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
Recipe inspired by AllRecipes.com. This article contains recipe information that is considered suitable for pets. However, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian before offering your pet any of the ingredients contained in this recipe.